Thursday, November 19, 2009

Scorching

Another unseasonable scorcher today, yet I didn't turn to whipping up a few icy protein shakes, but stuck to grilling meat for breakfast and dinner. Even with my sexy, new Sigg bottle following me everywhere, I still fell behind when trying to keep my fluids up, so I'm suffering from a dehydration headache right now. So this will be brief so that I can get back to the one room in the house with air-conditioning...

Breakfast: a lamb forequarter chop and a copious amount of bacon. Mmmmmm...


Dinner: Bacon & Beef burgers - the beau took his with a side of organic lettuce...


...whilst I enjoyed mine with a hunk of fried haloumi! Yummmmmmm!


And back I scurry to the cool room - such a huge day of rushing around, and now this heat exhaustion; at least I should sleep well tonight! One more day and then a restful weekend... I have some culinary experiments up my sleeve for Saturday, so here's hoping they go well and appear here soon! :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, i've still been following the same diet, however instead of eating 15 oz of meat at lunch, i changed it back to 9 oz of meat and a small serving of green vegetables (cooked brocoli and green cabbage), which have around 20 to 30 grams of carbs.

I need those 20 to 30 grams of carbohydrates a day, plus another 5 more i suspect from the carbohydrates of the whey protein powder i use.

So i think that i take around 25 grams of carbohydrates a day, which is still within the low-carb range of most low-carb diets, which say that low-carb diets are the diets that have less than 30 to 50 grams of carbohydrates a day (Stage 1 50 grams and stage 2 of most low-carb diets are 30 grams)

thanx

.

Katelyn said...

Marxist, I would honestly say go straight ZC. Get past the induction flu, get fat adapted, and you will never miss the 20-30 grams of carbs. Those will keep you craving and keep your insulin raised. Eat fatty meat, and all is well.

Anonymous said...

Hi Katelyn: I thought that insulin levels were real high if we ate for example large amount of carbohydrates like a big pancake, or a big plate of pasta, rice or lots of bread, but i didn't know that even small amounts of carbohydrates from fibrous sources such as green cabbage and broccoli would rise insulin levels too much.

I mean i thought that 20 to 40 grams of carbohydrates a day didn't really raise insulin levels too much. I thought people needed to ingest around 100 grams or more of carbohydrates a day in order to see elevated insulin levels which, and fat-storage as a result of elevated insulin levels.

I think i will go back to zero carbohydrate diet like you suggested.

in fact I read scientific studies that said that people doing zero carb diets could eat more calories and still lose weight than another group eating less calories, but with a regular carbohydrate diet

But thanks for your comments

:-)

.

Jezwyn said...

You can't generalise like that. Some people have a minimal insulin response at even 100g carbs (the insulin-sensitive types) while others have an insulin over-response to just the smell of something sweet! Insulin resistance is a bee-yatch. And not all carbs are the same, of course - there's the high/low glycemic load attribute to take into account...

ZC is more than just a way to keep insulin levels low - it also rids your diet of fibre and plant-origin anti-nutrients, which some people can be very sensitive to.

The benefit of keeping insulin levels low is so that the body can access fat stores All The Time. Diets that trigger insulin production have periods, even if they're short, where insulin blocks the body's access to those stores.

Do what works for you. Experiment til you find your perfect fit. Scientific studies may help you find that fit (they did for me) but don't assume that one theory fits everyone. Amen.