Thursday, June 4, 2009

Recipe: Primal Beef Curry

So simple, yet amazing!

Ingredients:

2T coconut oil

1 cup chopped onion

1 cup chopped celery

3 cloves garlic

450g diced beef

400ml canned diced tomatoes

250ml salsa (I made mine fresh with 1 cup of green peppers, 5 cherry tomatoes and 3 olives)

1t cumin powder

1T chili powder

1t ground thyme



Heat coconut oil in a large frying pan, then sauté the celery, onion and garlic for 3 minutes, until the onion is translucent.

Add meat and spice, stirring well, and cook for 5 minutes.

Add tomatoes and salsa, stir well, and then simmer for at least an hour.

Superb served over riced cauliflower, topped with flaked almonds. Depending on portions, serves between 2 and 4.



I divided the curry into three - one for the boy, one for me, and one for tomorrow's lunch. I can't wait to flaunt my 'diet' in front of my colleagues! I've cut up 100g of cauliflower and spooned the curry over it, so it's just waiting to be popped into the microwave and then popped into my belly!

Nutritional info for each of three serves:

Calories - 469.4
Total Fat - 22.4g (SF - 12.4, PUF - 1.1, MUF - 6g)
Sodium - 338.9mg
Total Carbohydrate - 19g
- Fiber - 5g
Net Carbohydrate - 14g
Protein - 49.2g

The beau announced that this is his favourite Primal recipe thus far. I believe him.

Why?



Nom.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

great looking recipe! how do you do riced cauliflower?

Jonathan said...

looks very tasty, I'm putting this on mext weeks menu

Anonymous said...

I'm absolutely going nuts with curries. My lunches have been nice colourful meaty salads and my dinner curries. You can just throw anything in, it's amazing!

I actually just skip the whole "like rice" cauliflower thing and throw some diced cauliflower right into it and just eat it like a thick soup. I can honestly say that I don't miss the rice at all.

Jezwyn said...

Chuck raw cauliflower florets into a food processor, and pulse until the cauliflower is broken into dots, smaller than rice. Then pop into the microwave for about 4- minutes (don't add water). Done!

I make cauliflower rice to soak up the curry sauce - better than licking the plate, and adds the sweetness of cauli to counterpoint the bite of the curry. This curry turned out quick thick, so for my lunch I've just gone with small florets of raw cauli (will cook slightly in the microwave). I much prefer slightly-steamed cauliflower than cooked through, which would be the result of cooking it in the curry itself. It's also pretty :)

Ellen said...

I am definitely making this :drool:

Anonymous said...

How would you recommend making the riced cauliflower if you don't have a microwave?

-Justin

Jezwyn said...

Steam it until it starts to fall apart, and then process or chop finely. You could them steam it further if you needed to - just ensure you don't boil/wet the cauliflower, as you don't want it to absorb the water.

Let me know how you go! :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot, Jezwyn.

I now have a new criteria for my next girlfriend. The creativity you have for meals of the primal fare is inspiring. The thought of coming home to a meal like this one after a hard day of classes blows my mind.

Anonymous said...

How cooked did your meat end up in this recipe? Pink center, cooked all the way through? What suggestions would you have when trying to keep the meat at a medium-rare doneness?

Jezwyn said...

I use beautiful, organic diced lamb or beef, so the meat stays tender even when cooked through. I personally prefer meat a bit pink in the centre, but the boy doesn't, so that's all I've tried thus far.

If I were to ensure the meat is medium-rare, I would prepare the curry and let it simmer for 30 minutes, then brown the meat and pop it in for just a few minutes before serving.